Saturday, July 14, 2012

The Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich Smoothie

This creation was inspired by the classic PBJ with a glass of milk. I love a PBJ on toasted wheat bread, but it's kind of annoying to deal with. First of all, toasted bread has a way of spewing crumbs all over the place, and I rarely clean my kitchen, so these crumbs tend to stick around for a while and get stuck to my feet when I walk around barefoot. Second, I hate spreading shit with a knife, it's such a pain. And also, what do I do once I've spread the peanut butter? I have to clean the damn knife off on something so I don't contaminate the jelly with all the crudded up peanut butter detritus. So I said, let me just throw all this junk into a blender, besides, chewing is overrated.



Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup grape nuts or other hearty cereal, I bet granola would be good. This is our "bread"
  • Soy milk or almond milk
  • 1 frozen banana - peel it you idiot
  • 1/2 cup frozen blueberries - or any frozen fruit you like. This is the "jelly"
  • 1 heaping spoonful of peanut butter - a little goes a long way in a smoothie
  • Agave nectar, honey, or other sweetener, to taste.
  • 5-10 cubes of ice
Directions:
  1. Put grape nuts in blender
  2. Add fake-milk-product until the grape nuts are fully submerged then pour until the liquid is 1-2 cm above the cereal. Learn your damn metrics
  3. Add the banana, peanut butter, berries, and ice
  4. BLEND BLEND BLEND - Some grittiness should remain, especially if you're using grape nuts, that stuff is like rocks, so it adds a nice crunch as you slurp down the smoothie.
  5. Sweeten to taste - honestly I can't remember if I added any extra sweetener when I made this. But if so I use splenda or agave.

No comments:

Post a Comment